NATURE ENVIRONMENT SOCIETY & TRANSFORMATIONS
(N E S T)
Email: ne_st @ rediffmail.Com
13th Annual Conference
Red Politics & The Blue Planet
on 17th, 18th & 19th DECEMBER 2010
Venue - SUBHEDAR
Sindhudung District, Maharastra.
& Postal Communication:
- 3rd Floor, Nizmar Centre, Near E.D.C.Build.,
Atmaram Borkar Road
Panaji- Goa – 403001,
- 269, Pandavaddo, Chorao, Tiswadi, Goa - 403102
NEST is a non funded voluntary organization completing 15 years of its activities. It was founded by late Prof. Bikram Das Gupta, Department of Chemistry,
The theoretical focus is holistic and interdisciplinary. NEST as an organization is an interface between the Academicians, Professionals, Activists, Workers & Common People to enhance and consolidate the understanding of the pressing problems. The group is also involved in solidarity meets with different groups of people threatened by development paradigm. Annual commemorations of Hiroshima Day, May Day and Environment Day etc. are other NEST activities. The NEST annual conference of 2009 did not take place due to deteriorating health of Dr. Dasgupta. The following are the themes of last 13 years:
1. “Nature Society & Transformation” at Peaceful Society, Madkai,
2. “Development and it’s consequences” at Peaceful Society, Madkai,
3. “Development and it’s consequences” at
4. “Institutions, Ideologies & Knowledge Systems”, at
5. “Science & Education in Historical Perspectives”,
6. “Dynamics of Order & Disorder in Nature & Society; Chaos, Systems Theory & Chaocomplexolgy”, at New Lead Trust, Kalyanpuram, Tamilnadu in 2002
7. “Peoples Resources & Resistance”,
8. “Indigenous People”, at SDC,
9. “Political Economy”, at
10. “Women, Workers & Humanism”, Shikshak Bhawan, Pune,
11. “Translational Corporations People & the State”, Mahale Hall, Chorao,
12. “Protected Areas & Heritage”, Kulgi, Dandeli Wild Life Sanctuary, Karnataka in 2008
This annual NEST Conference is dedicated to the memory of late Prof. Bikram Das Gupta, Founder of NEST who left us on 9th January 2010, he was the founder and an active Philosopher-Guide of NEST. Almost all the programmes of NEST were possible because of his active intellectual and organizing capabilities.
GREEN MOVEMENTS, RED POLITICS & THE
1. Green Philosophers: Early Greek Philosophers, Goutam Buddha, Mahavir Jain, Charles Darwin, Karl Marx, Martin Heidegger, Bhima Bhoi, Hanah Arendt.
2. Green Academicians–Activists: Chief Seattle, Henry David Thoreau, Rachel Carson, Chiko Mendes, Verdansky, V. Shaubeger.
3. Green Communities: Indigenous people, Bishnoi, Alekha, Tinai
4. Radical Feminist perspective: Vandana Shiva, Chipko movement
5. Pachakuti: Indigenous perspectives, degrowth and ecosocialism - Bob Thomson
6. Environmental issues, TNCs & the People: Politics of land, water, forest & climate.
7. Environmental issue: NGOs and the State.
8. Politicization of the Green Movements.
9. Greening of political parties.
10. Exploring the viability of a Green Party.
11. In search of Alternatives
12. The role of the Green movements to Red politics
13. Red political understanding of green movements
14. Marx’s ecology
15. The dichotomy of Red politics and Green movements
16. Radical politics and the Social and Political (ecological) history of
Any person is free to make a presentation on the main theme of the conference apart from above suggested sub-topics. The title and core arguments of the paper are to be informed to the organizers on or before December 01, 2010.
This venue is essentially a farm house with lodging facilities. There are plenty of plants and trees with chirping birds perched on its branches covering 2.2 acres of land. The ambient atmosphere is conducive for such meetings
It is only 1km away from Banda on the Banda- Vapoli road tucked in a calm and cool environment. Telephone number of the venue is 02363-270046. Mobile contact: 09421248455.
GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION OF BANDA
■ Clad with dense forest and valleys of Western Ghats the
■ Banda town Bordering North Goa is situated on the foot-hills of the
■ More than 75% of the hill is covered by thick forests. These are preyed upon by mining companies, nuclear plants, and currently stiff resistance is offered in this Konkan region in Maharastra.
■ Weather : Temperature in the month of December: in Banda is around 24 to 280C.
Approach to the venue: From the south, Pernem (
Konkan Railway Trains from Mumbai moving southwards to
Nearest Airport: Dabolim Airport (GOA) 70 kms, towards Banda.
1. Includes lodging boarding, local transportation, sight seeing and registration fees.
2. Rs.1000/- (Rupees One Thousand only) to be paid on or before 1st December 2010. Spot registration will also be accepted.
3. The amount may be deposited in the DENA Bank Account no 049910031172 (Jatin Naik) Verem, Reis-Magos Branch, Verem, BARDEZ, Goa. PIN 403114 OR in AXIS BANK, Account no 180010100001991 (Vilas Porab) . Mapusa Branch at Mapusa, Bardez, Goa PIN 403507. After depositing please notify the organizers at email@example.com.
4. No provision for TA.
5. Email the registration form in the following format:
Sex ______ Age _____
Postal address with email id & mobile no.
Registration Amount deposited _______
in words _________________________
Date & time of arrival _______________
Coordinators of this conference:
S-41, Sonarbhat, Verem, Reis-magos, Bardez, Goa,
D-3, Gurukul, Sophia College Campus, Bhulabhai Desai Road,
Mumbai- 400 026, India
Phone: (Res) 91-022-23512560
(O) 91-022-2507 2224
Department of Physics,
Goa 403 206
email: firstname.lastname@example.org , Mob. 09823994745
31/A, Marna, Siolim,
Abstract of the paper must be sent by 1st December 2010. Paper contributors are requested to send soft copies of their papers to email@example.com
Abstract: The abstract (100-150 words) should contain all the substance of the methods and the results achieved. The abstract should be presented in such a way that it must be able to stand alone. References and non-standard or uncommon abbreviations should therefore be avoided.
Paper: The contributors are requested to send in the soft copy of their completed paper by
Contributors of papers should avoid lengthy introduction, unnecessary ornamentalisation and peripherals. Views and counter views are encouraged.
Let a hundred flowers blossom, and a thousand thoughts contend.
Please mention the required time slot for your presentation (which may be changed upon situational exigencies).
NEST encourages participants to present their papers orally and discussions thereafter. However those who need a LCD projector for their presentations are requested to intimate the organizers in advance.
Time table of the conference will be circulated to those who confirm their participation by December 10, 2010.
Note: All participants are requested to attend the conference activities for the full three days.