Monday, March 23, 2009

Motesh Antao files complaint against Quepem Police

Motesh Antao,
H.No. 104/2, Colomba, Rivona,
Sanguem, Goa 403 705

Date: March 23, 2009

To,

The Director General of Police,
Panaji - Goa.

To,

Superintendent of Police,
South Goa, Margao.

To,

Chief Secretary,
Secretariat,
Porvorim.

To,

The National Human Rights Commission,
Faridkot House, Copernicus Marg, New Delhi, PIN 110001 Tel.No. 23384012 Fax No. 23384863 E-Mail: covdnhrc@nic.in, ionhrc@nic.in


Sub: Complaints against the P.I Devendra Gad and other policemen at Quepem Police Station for assault and harrasment


Sir,

On Friday dated 20/03/2009 at around 10:30am Havaldar Arvind (Batch no: 3100) stopped me at Tilamol - San Fattor, Quepem taluka due to traffic control police and asked for my license, I told him to issue give me challan (fine) if I am at fault. Instead of giving challan (fine) he called up the Quepem Police station and asked for a police control room vehicle and he send me near P.S.I. vehicle and he forced me inside the vehicle and took me in the police at Quepem Police Station, my truck was unlocked on the road they didn’t gave me time to lock it and informed to the truck owner that police has taken me in their custody. This was the first stage of Harassment to me.

In Police station I asked P.I why he arrested me and brought me over here at that time, he told me that I and other Colomba Villagers are not coming if police call And that’s why police has arrested me and brought over at Quepem Police station. He also said that there is a complaint against me and they send summons at my home and taken signature of my mother. I asked them to please show me the summons with signature of my mother but instead of showing me anything they said that once the case was register they can do anything to the accused. PI Gad told me that he does not need to serve any summons as after the case is registered, police can break the house and get me to the police station.

Afterwards they started doing their formalities of registering my arrest and put me into the lockup, I maintained silence to their the questions to me, at that time all police present at the station started threatening me and PI Devendra Gad told me that if I didn’t tell my name then they can declare me as terrorist and send me into the jail. A policemen in civil dress beat me up – one slap on my face and put me into the lockup at around 10:50am. I requested them that I am informing my family members but they didn’t allow me to use telephone and they confiscated my mobile.

Afternoon time at around 1:15pm they were taking me for medical test at Curchorem government health centre, on the way the police officials accompanying me bearing batch number 5512 accused me of being drunk. I told him back that I don’t drink. Because I told him back that I don’t drink he slapped me twice. In the meantime Police informed Ad. John Fernandes and police informed to my family members only in the evening at 6:00pm. Villagers of Colomba came at Quepem police station and released me on the bail at 7:45 pm.

I pray that inquiry be conducted on violation of my human rights and strict action be initiated against PI Devendra Gad and other police officials involved in harassing and assaulting me while in police custody at the Quepem Police Station on March 20, 2009.

Yours truly,

Sd/-

Motesh Antao


Copy to

Gawda, Kunbi, Velip & Dhangar Federation (GAKUVED), Panaji – Goa.
Goa Bachao Abhiyan (GBA), Porvorim – Goa.
Goa Federation of Mines Affected People (GOAMAP), Siolim – Goa.
Ganv Ghar Rakhan Manch (GGRM), Benaulim - Goa
Council for Social Justice and Peace (CSJP), Panaji - Goa

No comments: