Shri John Fernandes,
r/o. Copelabhat, Deao,
1. The Chairman,
Goa State Pollution Control Board,
EDC Plaza, 1st Floor,
2. The Director of Mines and Geology,
3. The Chief Conservator of Forest,
Sub: Complaint against illegal mining in Cavrem and Maina Village.
I the undersigned, concerned citizen of Goa and a resident of Quepem, hereby files/lodge my complaint against illegal mining at Cavrem and Maina Village of Quepem taluka and request you to take immediate action.
1. That at Cavrem-Quepem a public hearing for the renewal of mining lease of Devapam Dongor iron and manganese ore mine of Shri Shaik Salaim under T.C/Mining lease No. 01/1951 was held on 28/4/2008 at Mallikarjun Temple Cavrem. That as per the information available the mine is yet to get environment and Forest clearance from the ministry of environment and forest. However the mine owner way back in October 2007 has already undertaken illegal mining activities in the leased portion . Big mining pits are seen at the site and a number of roads made by destroying forest land were seen on the hillock. That while carrying out the above mining activities a large track of forest land has been destroyed , damage is also caused to the agriculture land and water resources. Photo of the illegal mine is hereto annexed which is marked as annexure “A”.
2. That Public hearing for the renewal of mining lease of M/S. Shantilal k and bros. Pvt. Ltd. Zoleracho Dongor iron ore mine under T.C./Mining lease No.44/51 is fixed on 2/8/2008. However the mine was already started operating in the leased portion since December 2007 ,operation sans licence/clearance from the Ministry of Environment and Forest. The fact that the mine is illegal can be confirmed from the fact that the hearing is fixed on 2/8/2008. The public notice dated 2/7/2008 is hereto annexed which is marked as annexure “B”. Big illegal mining pits and big rejection dump of a height of around 20 mts are seen on the site . It is also seen that a JCB machines used for excavation was seen parked on the side of the illegal mining pit. An illegal weighting bridge was also constructed. The photo of the illegal mining pit is hereto annexed which is marked as annexure “C”. The photo of the weighting bridge is hereto annexed which is marked as annexure “D”. This is on the one side of the mountain while on the other side of the mountain a large scales destruction of forest land has been done to develop mining pit , to facilitate mining rejection dump and to make illegal roads. The photo of the illegal activities is hereto annexed which is marked at annexure “E”. Thus great damage has already been done to the forest, water and air.
3. That similarly public hearing for the renewal of the mining lease of M/S. Shantilal k and bros. pvt. Ltd. Pante Pan e Saterkarachi iron ore mine under T.C./Mining lease No.9/53 was held on 21/6/2008. That though the mine is yet to get Forest and Environment clearance the concerned owner/agent has already started the mine. In the process large scale cutting of forest trees is being done to facilitate drilling and to make roads. They have done extensive damage to the Forest, agriculture, water , air and other aspect of environment. The photo of which are hereto annexed which are marked as annexure “F”.
I hereby kindly requesting you to take immediate action against the owners/agents for doing/carrying out illegal mining activities sans
permission. I further request you to immediately cancel the mining leases of all the above mentioned mine for causing damage environment and disobeying environmental norms laid done by the Ministry of Environment and Forest . If your department failed to act then I shall be constrained to take matter before the Hon’ble High Court, entirely at your risk as to its cost and consequence. So also I shall be constrained to initiate appropriate criminal proceedings against your for derrelecting from your duties.
( John Fernandes )
1.The Hon’ble Chief Minister,
State of Goa,
2.The Hon’ble Minister of Environment and Forest,
Government of Goa,
3. The Hon’ble Minister of Environment and Forest
Government of India,
4. The Chief Secretary,
State of Goa,
5. The Collector of South Goa,
6. The Dy-Collector of Quepem,
Illegal Road in Maina, Quepem Forest